Long-wire Antennae: Color Me Stupid

RancerDS created the topic: Long-wire Antennae: Color Me Stupid

3 years 3 days ago

Please correct me if I'm wrong. There are two thoughts in the back of my mind, which I haven't verified by other means as to whether they are correct.

If you have sky-wave propogation, you want a horizontal long-wire and if you have ground-wave, you want vertical? Is that basically right?

Also... am I wrong in thinking I can take a multimeter which measures Ohms and connect each lead to each end of the antennae wire to see what figure it gives and use that somehow (like for feed-line, baluns, etc.)

I've only built a 4-element bow antennae for digital TV reception and the little 5-pole from metal coat-hangers with the single vertical and the four supporting (ground plane?).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

colin replied the topic: Long-wire Antennae: Color Me Stupid

3 years 3 days ago

RancerDS wrote: Please correct me if I'm wrong. There are two thoughts in the back of my mind, which I haven't verified by other means as to whether they are correct.

a.) If you have sky-wave propogation, you want a horizontal long-wire and if you have ground-wave, you want vertical? Is that basically right?

b.) Also... am I wrong in thinking I can take a multimeter which measures Ohms and connect each lead to each end of the antennae wire to see what figure it gives and use that somehow (like for feed-line, baluns, etc.)

I've only built a 4-element bow antennae for digital TV reception and the little 5-pole from metal coat-hangers with the single vertical and the four supporting (ground plane?).

a.) No. Makes little difference - any sky wave arrives in all planes -- meaning neither purely H or V.

b.) Nope. A meter measures DC Ohms - measuring the impedance of a line requires more advanced gear and a frequency source -- as the impedance changes slightly dependent on the frequency.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.